BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don't have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac-specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
- Added power user option to re-enable handling of AppleDouble (._) files. (See Hidden Settings in the BetterZip help).
- Recognize .sXX file extensions for multi-volume rar archives.
- Quick Look can now look into Corel brush libraries which are actually zip files.
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan compatibility: Zip and 7-zip archives didn't work. Also, BetterZip crashed a lot.
- The password manager didn’t work correctly for RAR archives.
- AppleScript: Saving with a preset with a set password still asked for a password.
- Setting the number of concurrent operations didn’t work correctly.
- When creating a zip archive with a custom extension (e.g., cbz) BetterZip would create a 7z archive instead and then fail to read it back as zip. D'oh!
- Added tbz2 and tb2 as recognized extensions for tar.bz2 files.
- BetterZip would go to sleep during an archive operation, when the system shut off the display. App Nap is now prevented.
- BetterZip would crash, when a part of a multi-volume archive was opened while the exact same archive was already extracting with the operations queue.
- The QL generator window only offered the default, not any user-defined presets.
- Intel, 64-bit processor
- OS X 10.9 or later