Bookends is a full-featured bibliography/reference and information-management system for students and professionals.
- Bookends uses the cloud to sync reference libraries on all the Macs you use. Access the power of Bookends directly from Mellel, Nisus Writer Pro, or MS Word (including Word 2016): Bookends allows you to scan your existing word-processor files and automatically generate finished manuscripts with properly formatted bibliographies. You can also scan Apple Pages '08, '09, and 5, Manuscripts.app, and LibreOffice/OpenOffice 4 files, or RTF files saved from any word processor.
- Bookends allows you to share your references over the Internet with anyone, on any platform. And with Bookends, you can directly search and import references from numerous sources:
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar
- Library of Congress
- and hundreds of other online sources.
- Bookends also offers a robust assortment of file attachment features:
- Attach any file (such as a PDF) to a reference and view or open it instantly.
- Automatically rename and organize PDF files on-the-fly.
- Automatically download and attach the PDF of an article from the Internet if you have access permission.
- Automatically locate and attach PDF's on your hard drive.
- Annotate and markup PDFs and have the information instantly accessible in notecards.
- Sync your library with Bookends On Tap on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, so that you have your references and PDF's with you, wherever you are.
Note: Bookends 12.x is a paid upgrade for owners of Bookends 11 and earlier and requires a new serial number. It is free for anyone who bought or upgraded to Bookends 11 on or after January 1, 2013. The upgrade price for a single license is $29 for those who bought Bookends before January 1, 2013.
- In the Manual Remove Duplicates sheet you can unmark all references with the right-click hierarchical menu item "Unmark All".
- A notification is generated when wifi sync with Bookends On Tap is finished.
- Updated PubMed access to use the NCBI HTTPS servers.
- Two new citation delimiters: [[ ]] and << >>.
- Added user-configurable limits of 100 and 500 MB to the size of PDFs that can be synced with Bookends On Tap.
- Bookends will display the contents of attached text files with the extension .tex or .ris.
- Open PDF attachments in PDF Expert.
- When specifying a default custom folder location in preferences, Bookends will not create a "Bookends" subfolder if you have named the parent folder "Bookends".
- Modified filters will be copied, not moved, to the Custom Import Filters Folder.
- Improved detection of reference metadata found on Google Scholar.
- Autocomplete Paper can now be invoked by a right-click option on a reference with an attachment.
- When you do a live Spotlight search, the search phrase will be highlighted in yellow if found in the PDFs associated with the found references.
- The reference list will not redraw when clicking on empty space in the groups pane.
- Bug fixes.
- OS X 10.7 or later